About our program
LSVT (Lee Silverman Voice Treatment) is an evidence-based treatment for people with Parkinson’s Disease (PD). LSVT directly treats the volume of an individual’s voice and has been shown to have benefit not only for vocal loudness but also for speech precision and improvement of the swallowing musculature. Although the evidence is strongest for people with PD, investigations are underway in the use of LSVT for people whose speech and voice difficulties are related to cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury and other neurologically-based disorders.
An LSVT program involves a screening appointment and 16 one hour sessions scheduled at four sessions per week for 4 weeks. This intensity of treatment is an integral part of the LSVT program; no other treatment schedule can be called “LSVT”. Evidence of LSVT’s treatment efficacy is based on this intensity of treatment. If, however, after the screening appointment, you and your therapist decide that the intensity of LSVT is beyond your energy level, we may recommend instead a “vocal intensity treatment program” that can be organized on a different schedule, but uses the same basic techniques.
The people who are most likely to benefit from LSVT include those who:
- Have been diagnosed with “idiopathic” (or “typical”) Parkinson’s Disease or another neurological impairment resulting in decreased loudness of speech, imprecise speech and/or swallowing difficulties. Please note that the strongest evidence exists for those with idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease.
- Have the stamina, energy and motivation to go through the training. LSVT is hard work!
- Have the ability to produce a voice, even if quiet
- Are able to remember, and to comply with, the practice activities that will be prescribed
- Have the time to attend 16 sessions, scheduled at four sessions per week for four weeks
- Have a likely potential to benefit from LSVT, as viewed by the screening SLP
- Please note: As with all speech and voice therapy, no guarantee of outcome is provided nor implied.
- Screening appointment: $200 (approximately 1 hour in length)
- Full program: $2320 for 16 sessions (50 minutes each; breaks down to $145 per session), payable before first appointment
- Follow up appointments available at our pay-as-you-go rate of $175 per session
- Please contact our office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 604-875-9100 to request a screening appointment with a speech-language pathologist. After the appointment is scheduled, our office will follow up to sort out payment and paperwork.
- Prior to the appointment, please forward medical documentation of your diagnosis. (We do not need a doctor’s referral but note that, during the first appointment, we will be asking you for your consent to contact your doctor.)
At the screening appointment:
- Your SLP will get some background information from you and will take a number of measurements of your speech and voice.
- She will explain the treatment program to you and possibly do some brief trial treatment to get an idea of whether or not the treatment is likely to be useful for you.
- She will provide recommendations to you which may include enrolling in either LSVT or in a vocal intensity training program (the difference between the two is that LSVT must be scheduled at four sessions per week for four weeks; a vocal intensity training program can be scheduled at a lesser intensity). She also may recommend only a few sessions of speech therapy, acquisition of an amplification device, referral to other services or she may not recommend treatment at all, depending on your needs and symptoms.
You should expect that, during the LSVT treatment, you will need to ensure that you are well rested without too many other commitments. The treatment itself requires physical exertion and you will likely find it tiring. You will receive a brief written report outlining your progress after completion of the program. The LSVT program is completed after 16 sessions, however follow-up appointments can be arranged on an “as needed” basis for people who wish to refresh their skills.