stuttering treatment, children's speech therapy, autism speech therapy, Vancouver speech therapy, Vancouver stuttering treatment RASP speech therapist children's speech therapy vancouver intensive aphasia treatment, stroke recovery, Parkinson's, LSVT, dysarthria, apraxia, aphasia, Vancouver speech therapy, adult speech therapy RASP speech pathologist accent modification, foreign accent reduction vancouver stroke recovery vancouver voice therapy vancouver intensive aphasia program vancouver
  • Columbia Speech and Language Services Inc. Vancouver BC.Canada
  • Columbia Speech and Language Services Inc. Vancouver BC.Canada
  • Columbia Speech and Language Services Inc. Vancouver BC.Canada
Your Speech and Language Experts –
Improving Communication Throughout Your Life.

Frequently Asked Questions

Adult Therapy-Frequently Asked Questions

If your question pertains to our Stuttering Treatment, our Accent Reduction programs, or to our services for children and youth, please see the appropriate webpage within this site.

Q: Do I need a doctor's referral to make an appointment?

A: No. We do not require a doctor's referral* in order to see you. Clients are commonly self-referred, or are referred by their doctor, their insurance company, their employer or by other therapists. If a doctor has referred you, however, we would like you to bring a written report, letter, or referral from your doctor, so that we know what your doctor's specific concern is.

* Please note that, although we do not require a referral from your doctor, extended health benefit plans often do require this in order to accept your claim. We strongly encourage you to check with your own extended health benefit plan to learn what specific requirements and limitations might be in place.

Q: Can I get this service for free elsewhere?

A: Possibly. Some hospitals have out-patient speech-language therapy services. And, of course, if you have just suffered a stroke or injury you may well get treatment within a hospital while you are an in-patient. In general though, SLP services for adults are much less available publicly than they are for children, and you may not be able to find what you are looking for in the public system. You will need to check with your regional hospital as to what they provide, whether you may be eligible, and what your waiting time might be. Don't forget that it is quite possible that funding may be available from some government or insurance source for you to receive private speech-language therapy services from us.

Q: Can you please bill my Extended Health Benefit Plan directly?

A: No. Each plan negotiates different benefits with each employer, and we are simply not in a position to know what your particular benefits and/or restrictions might be. Instead, we will provide you with a detailed receipt that you can send to your own extended health benefit plan. As stated earlier, we strongly encourage you to check with your own extended health benefit plan to learn what the requirements and limitations are - and we advise you to do it before your first appointment.

Q: How, when, and how much do I pay?

A: You pay at the time service is delivered, by either cash or cheque, debit, Mastercard or Visa. Cheque is our preferred method of payment.  Please request our detailed fee structure from our office for more information.

Q: How long will I need to come for treatment?

A: It depends. We will assess your needs and your potential to benefit from treatment before providing you with any estimation regarding duration of treatment.

Q: Do you provide a guarantee that treatment will be effective?

A: No. Our code of ethics prevents us from doing so, and for very good reason, as there are so many variables affecting treatment outcome. You have our assurance, however, that the same code of ethics prevents us from providing treatment if we don't believe you have a reasonable chance of benefiting from the treatment.

© 2010 Columbia Speech & Language Services Inc.
Web Site Design & Development by NetClimber Web Design Inc.